I recently sent a tweet that read, you can always tell when someone has just completed their first class. They sit there looking shell shocked. And it's true. That's how you look. They know it's hard and they tell you it' supposed to be. They say things like "throat choked" "skin to bones" "it's supposed to hurt" "try to fall down" "lock you knees" and "pull harder". And by the way, you should come back within 24hrs. WTF!
What's wonderful, and awful all at the same time, about Bikram is that everyone in the room is struggling. Everyone. No one is immune to lying down or walking out. You don't have time to worry about what other people are thinking about you or what you have on. Everyone is focusing on not falling and not passing out. Did I mention it's very hot in there. You honestly and truly can't think about anything else. It's like a working, punishing vacation.
I haven't come close to doing one of these postures correctly. Not one. But the instructors often mention, right intention. And if you have the proper form you get the benefits regardless of how deeply you can go into the posture. And I buy it. Right now, my focus is on locking my knees. I find it very difficult. It always feels like I'm going to fall. The first 5 minutes are the hardest for me. I call them the squat poses. My arms and my legs burn like fire. The second half of the poses are on the floor. The only good thing about them, is that laying down is an actual pose/posture. Camel pose (#22) always makes me nauseous. And that is the time I usually have to lay down. I am always the fattest girl in the class. My stomach gets in the way. My boobies get in the way. Let's no even talk about my flabby arms. My knees won't agree to any of the kneeling postures. All the postures are so far beyond my reach.All that being said. I keep going back.
I am not sure why. I think the fact that I have grown accustomed to hard workouts helps. I work on controlling my breathing when I run. And I am convinced that's half the battle in Bikram. I have learned not to give up. I'm not sure what this says about me, but I keep showing up for punishment. Somehow, someway, my body has learned to need it. I don't think about any of those negative things during class. And I am way too exhausted after class.
Every class I challenge myself to go further into a posture. Or I focus on locking my knees during a particular posture. Even if I fall out of it. It's a personal challenge for me. I just keep trying. I love the focus required. It's the same focus I use for running. My mind needs it.
I can't say I love it. Can't really describe how I feel about it. "Like" doesn't even sound right. But there I am, twice a week since I started. I wish I could go more but ..a.) I can't afford it and b.) it conflicts with my running (3x/wk). I always have a bad run after a Bikram. Maybe that will change one day. But for now, that's my reality.
I guess I keep going because the positives far outweigh my self esteem issues. Like I said, I'm not sure.
But if you are fat chick thinking about Bikram, here's your survival guide:
I am not an an expert in any way shape or form but this is how I survive Bikram 2x/wk
(this is what works for me, go with what the experts say if it's different)
1.) Don't eat within three hours. Don't drink too much water before hand and during. Definitely not during class. I know it sounds counter intuitive. But in my experience, it makes me nauseous during class. Small controlled sips if absolutely necessary.
(caveat: I drink a lot of water during the day)
2.) Only breathe through your nose, never through your mouth. Unless your doing a breathing exercise. (my first instructor told me this one and he was right) That is how you fight dizziness and nausea. Focus on slow, controlled breathing throughout. And NEVER close your eyes unless the instructor tell you to.
3,) Don't think about how long you're in a posture, think about something else. Eventually get to a place where you can say that wasn't so bad at the end of each posture. <--- I'm still working on this one.
4.) When you leave and come back, the room feels ten times hotter. So stay if you can. Even if you have to lay down.
5.) The power song I play in my head when it starts to get tough is "Happy" by Leona Lewis or "Sober" by Kelly Clarkson and sometimes when I'm in a bad mood the chorus to "Fuck You" by LillyAllen.
6.) During the floor series, I keep saying to myself "I really love this. I love Bikram." Can't manage it during the standing postures yet.
7.) Be kind to yourself. Don't spend the class chastising yourself for falling out of, or not being able to get into, a posture. Class will suck.
8.) Lay down if you have to but don't stay down. Try every posture. Challenge yourself. If you can't, next class do a little more.
9.) No cotton, no cotton, no cotton, no cotton. Wear clothing that's breathable, or says wicking or something like that. You won't feel as hot. And you won't feel that soaked, weighed down feeling during or after.
10.) After class, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. And east something.
What works for you?

No comments:
Post a Comment